August 18, 2020

Student Voice (1st Year Students) 1

We will be introducing voices from students who have just entered the 1st year of the Professional Course in April 2020. Three students talked about why they entered the school, their thoughts about weaving, and how they feel after spending 4 months at the school. This is a three-part series.

"I have begun to feel a change of how I exist,
through my everyday life" -N



I took some workshops starting from the beginners' weaving course. I was fascinated by the diverse, independent way the other students I met there were living, and joined the Professional Course, where I would be able to study from the basics, to build my own foundation.

My interest in weaving began when I was thinking about life after raising my children, and remembered my grandparents who worked in jobs related to weaving. I especially like shawls, and hope to someday make something genuine, which would warm, and help lead the wearer to happiness. First of all, I would need to understand colors and materials, and achieve design skills. As I start to create, I am feeling the difficulty of realizing my ideas, but recently I feel like I am starting to understand the advice my teachers give me.

Simultaneously, I feel a change in my attitude of working, and how I exist. I have come to realize the importance of expressing my feelings, and have begun to act thinking about how I can be understood by the other person. Balancing school and family can be difficult, but the relationships with the other students and teachers, of different ages and backgrounds, has inspired and helped me. I like the feeling of pouring my heart into weaving, facing myself, in an environment full of nature. I am spending time heightening myself through life, through weaving.